Tuesday, November 18, 2014

in the service of what?: refection

i have done many hours of community service up to this point in my life.  doing so it has taught me a lot about myself and others.  to me community service feels great.  in this article i was surprised to read that it can be thought of as the wealthy helping the poor.  i don't like this statement because community service can be a plethora of things such as volunteering at a hospital or a nursing home or a school or picking up trash.  none of these are helping anyone poor.  it is simply just helping anyone in the community.  i have done a few different types of community service such as working at a soup kitchen, raising money for children with cancer, and now my service learning at the elementary school.
working in the soup kitchen really opened my eyes to a lot.  before i went there i was always afraid of the people on the streets asking or money.  i thought they always had bad intentions.  after i did my hours at the soup kitchen i learned that they are just normal people just like me.  i never judge them now.  everyone has heir own story and you don't know it unless you walk in their shoes.  raising money for children with cancer made me feel amazing.  i knew i was hoping children and families through a tough time.  when cancer strikes a family the last thing they should have to worry about is the money.  my service learning at the elementary school is awesome.  I've learned that all kids are different  and all kids learn different.  it is a great experience for me.  if i were to choose one community service to do over and over again i would deffinetly chose raising money for cancer needs.
reading this article made me realize why i like doing community service and it is the reason that it feels good to help others no matter how big or small the situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment